Despite advancements in technology, too many companies are still struggling with Excel management systems. And that might be fine for very small operations. But as an organisation grows, workflow can become uncontrollable, with data often found to be missing, out of date or incorrect.
Just as problematic, sharing data via Excel can be a pain. Sure, you can create a shared folder which gives access to many different employees, but they can’t edit a spreadsheet simultaneously or easily recover deleted data. Also, it can be challenging to keep track of who has changed what and when. And, while using free cloud-based tools such as Google Spreadsheets could help you to get around this, in an era where stringent data protection is required, this could open your business to unnecessary risk.
If that wasn’t enough of a problem, using different spreadsheets to manage different parts of your business means that everything happens in silos. Today, integrated IT systems are helping companies of all sizes to communicate, collaborate and streamline like never before. So if you are still grappling with chaotic and disparate systems, you run the risk of falling behind.
Cloud software can help
When it comes to business transformation, cloud-technology is one of the most potent enablers around. But despite this, when it comes to upgrading their IT infrastructure, many businesses are still put off by what they fear could be a time-consuming and disruptive process. And when you are a small business that has been running a manual system using a combination of paperwork and Excel, there are always fears that one wrong move could see the whole system break!
But moving to cloud-based service management software doesn’t have to be headache-inducing. Indeed, with a trusted provider such as Service Geeni you’ll be up and running in no time!
So, what preparation needs to be made before you move from Excel to cloud service management software?
- Sort out your data. Your data will be the backbone of your new IT system. So, it makes sense to get this in order before you migrate it across. This process should include getting rid of any old/unnecessary data to help you meet your data protection requirements. You should also make sure that all the data is in the right fields to ensure a straightforward migration process
- Assess your operations. Look at the paperwork used across your business to see where this can be brought online and integrated into your system. The more paperless you are, the more efficient you will be
- Assess your devices. No matter how great your new system is the benefits will be lost if your employees can’t access it. So, now is a great time to look at the devices used by your field and office workers and make sure that your new system is accessible and compatible
- Analyse your current set up. Establish how your existing infrastructure will be integrated into your new system. Your migration will go much smoother if you take the time to scrutinise all your hardware, software and apps before making decisions about how to move to the cloud
- Look at integration. To maximise productivity and efficiency your system should be cross-departmental. For example, back-office staff should be able to send jobs to mobile worker apps, and then mobile workers should be able to use the same app to let your accounts team know when a job is finished and an invoice can be sent. However, if this seems like too much change all at once, you can adopt a staggered approach. Just make sure that any solution you choose will be able to adapt and scale when you are ready
- Choose the right software. There are a load of service management software solutions out there. But it’s essential that you invest in the one that will work for you. Check that, as well as doing what you need it to, your chosen system can offer a level of guaranteed uptime and data protection that is acceptable to your business
- Check what you are getting for your money. Make sure you know what you’re getting for your fee. Are you just purchasing software or will your provider keep a proactive eye on it to make sure everything is as it should be? Find out how much it costs to update your software and how much will it cost if something goes wrong and you need additional support.
By moving from Excel to cloud-based software, your people will get the technology they need to work more efficiently, so your businesses becomes agiler and more competitive. And crucially, migrating to the cloud doesn’t have to cause any disruption to your business.
Get better technology – all for one affordable monthly payment. For more information on how our service management software can help you, contact us today for an informal chat.