Field management software helps organisations to manage a whole range of tasks. For example, field management software can be used with:
- Job management. By allowing back office staff to book jobs and track their status in real-time
- Ticketing. By helping a business to create and manage customer requests
- Workforce management. By allowing managers and back office staff to GPS track and coordinate with field service agents
- Scheduling. By generating the optimum schedule based on job, geographical area, priority and customer
- Customer relationship management. By helping users to capture, store, access and manage customer information
- Inventory management. With impressive stock forecasting, and the ability to manage multiple stock locations
- Quoting. By letting you calculate the cost of materials, travel time and mileage. You can also establish rates per hour for each engineer, and apply basic and overtime rates.
What is Field Management Software?
Field management software helps companies to run their business and serve their customers better. The best field management software also provides organisations with one interconnected system that monitors and shares information. So, everyday tasks and processes can be standardised and streamlined.
There are two major types of field management software to choose from:
- Cloud-based. Software is hosted by a third-party, and you access the services you need via your web browser
- On-premise. You host the software yourself, and your staff manage its running, upgrades, customisation etc.
On-premise Vs. Cloud
On-premise solutions are typically more suitable to larger organisations with complex needs. This is because they need a pre-built IT infrastructure with servers, network equipment, etc. However, while the costs of installation and upgrades can be high (not to mention complex), this option is highly customisable.
However, over the years, organisations have become increasingly frustrated with less-sophisticated legacy systems that simply take offline tasks and put them online. So, employees still have to complete tedious admin and fill in forms, just via a computer or mobile device. And that’s where cloud-based field management software can help.
Cloud-based field management software is typically less expensive. This is because products tend to be priced on a per-user-per-month basis.
The cloud is also scalable, so you pick the functionality you need. With flexible subscription-based pricing models, you’ll only ever pay for what you use, and your solution can be scaled up or down without any fuss.
Also, the cloud can be implemented at a much lower price than an on-premise solution, with no significant investment in licenses or infrastructure needed. It can also help you to create a more transparent cashflow, with everything you need delivered on a pay-as-you-go basis. The cloud also provides reduced TCO as you don’t have to fork out on expensive infrastructure upgrades.
And, with the latest cloud management software, you’ll also benefit from a tried and tested system that is ready to use and customisable to your business.
Field service management software integration
One of the key benefits of cloud-based service management software is that it syncs the different parts of your operations. For example, engineers can fill in electronic forms using a mobile device, and this information is then automatically and immediately shared with back office systems. So there is no need for support staff to duplicate this data into another system.
Typically, field service management software offers a range of business applications. But without perfect integration, you are likely to encounter problems.
So, if you want to make substantial operational improvements, it’s worth deploying an integrated field management solution that offers complete integration throughout all your processes, rather than trying to patch different applications together. And, to get the best out of your solution, you should ensure that it integrates with all the apps you currently use (e.g. accounting and CRM software).
Want to see how field management technology can help to improve your business for one affordable monthly payment? For more information on how we can help you, contact us today for an informal chat.